At Whiteheath infant school we believe in the following statements.
- Design Technology gives pupils the opportunity to develop skills, knowledge and understanding of designing and making functional products.
- Design Technology develops pupils practical skills and techniques as they apply these to designing and
making prototypes and products.
- Design Technology helps children to problem-solve, making on-going changes and improvements during
the design and make process.
- Design Technology allows pupils to build and apply a
repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users.
- Design Technology teaches pupils to understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Design Technology helps us to develop as reflective learners, as we work through the design process. Through design technology, we are able to work collaboratively to solve problems and find solutions, teaching us to deal with uncertainty whilst developing communication, organisational and other practical life skills. In design technology, we learn to appreciate the needs of others, the built environment and the likely impact of future technologies.
Throughput the year groups there is a clear progression of skills taught through our cross curricula curriculum.
In Around the world topics, the children learnt about china and how they celebrate Chinese new year. The children learnt how to make and build a Chinese dragon using junk modelling.
In Unity in the Community, the children explored 3D form and learned about the Artist Cesar Manrique. The children also planned and made their own 3D wind chime sculptures.
In Land ahoy the children learnt about different modes of transport and they created their own rocket launchers out of junk modelling.